March 11, 2012

Volunteering - do you?

Blood Donation
Blood Donation (Photo credit: Rojina)
Today's Plinky question is, "Do You Volunteer?"

My answer is - not as much as I would like.  One of the big reasons I chose to work with the current company I work for, is that they loosely require us to volunteer in the community.  So far, I have done some Blood Drives, helped out at an Art Festival and a Fun Run, and I have loved it all.  The bad part is that the events are always somewhere around 30-45 minutes away.  It's not a bad thing, but when I have a day off, and the shifts are only 1-2 hours - I cannot justify spending the gas money.  Does that make me a bad person?  It may.  I'm not OK with that, but I will deal with it.

I Have offered to take on some of my own, personal volunteer hours, closer to home, but they are never approved. I understand why, but it still doesn't make much sense. They want us working with the 'local' community - local to the area where the company is located.  I get that, but do wish I could get something closer to home every once in a while.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment